Friday, April 3, 2009

Call of Duty..again, Tritton AXPro, WoW and midterms…

I’ve gotten insanely better at Call of Duty. Once again the control scheme still seems to hold me back. I have three major problems I need to overcome to achieve the excellence I once had with the original Call of Duty games. The first issue is I’m having is my brain does not seem to register the idea that I can’t shoot my weapon AND use the 360 degree free-look stick. The second problem I’m having is when I am firing my weapon and try to use the free-look I press it down to hard and perform a melee attack, basically causing me to stop firing. Finally there is one more issue I’m having problems with but that I will actually explain further down the page.

Now that I have reached player level 32 online, I feel I can give a good opinion on the game itself. It has the same feel as the old Call of Duty games, the weapons fire and act very similarly to the originals and the tactical aspect of the game is still intact. There are a ton of new games modes such as War and Sabotage. War is much like Domination except your fighting for one flag at a time in a push situation.

Some of the frustrations I have encounter with the game entail mostly with Team Death Match and War. These game modes get chaotic very fast with players getting up to artillery and dogs which can literary keep you pinned down for half your play time. Dogs are extremely annoying and frustrating in the fact you are unable to listen exactly where they are coming from if you do not have surround sound. Problem solved!

One of the most intriguing aspects of the Call of Duty games has always been sound and how much of a role it plays in being successful. When I played the original I had 5.1 surround setup for my PC and I could catch everything at the drop of a hat. Now I’m crippled in a sense with my dopey TV sound that hardly gives me anything.

I’ve decided to solve the problem with this badboy headset. I plan to purchase them from newegg.com and hopefully have them for in time for spring break. While it is quite a “spendy” purchase its defiantly one I feel is fairly warranted for how much of my free time goes into gaming. The headset will work with my Xbox, Wii and PC which is one of the primary gems of buying it. The Wii unfortunately will not benefit from the 5.1 setup, however it is nice to have the headset work for it anyway.

So once again I canceled my World of Warcraft account. The game is just wash, rinse repeat. PvP has gotten fairly dull and you literally have to have no life to raid. Raiding is simply boring anyway. You have to deal with 9-24 other grease balls who power trip because taking down the Lich King is their life goal. It is highly probable that I will go back to WOW but for now Call of Duty has me totally sucked in.

I had two of my three midterms yesterday; the third will come after spring break. I feel fairly confidant about both tests and how quickly I was able to nail down the problems. One of the most frustrating things that I typically find when I study for tests is I typically do my own online research. To my amazement I find a much simpler, easier explanation and method to solving the problem than my professor or the book explains. I just don’t understand why people have to go to such great length to overcomplicate something.

No comments:

Post a Comment