Friday, April 17, 2009

Wizard’s Hostile takeover and WOW 3.1 Patch

I was recently debating on going to Magic: The Gathering prerelease next Saturday, I however have changed my mind. In what seems to be another attempt at world domination, Wizards of the Coast has pointed their Death Star towards Magic-League.com. With the rising cost of a pack of cards, $300 Mana Bases and some of the most abstract patents known to gaming, can this company be any more greedy?



Essentially what Wizards is asking of Magic-League is to remove any logos and links to Apprentice and Magic Workstation. For those that do not know what these programs do is they emulate a game of magic to the bare bones and I do mean bare bones. These programs are bare to a point where it is not really that interesting to me. Other players use these programs to get practice before major tournaments in which they plan to fill Wizards coffers.

Fantastic move Wizards! Continue to isolate and push out the veterans that created your game. We all see where you are going; no one wants to pay to play your piece of shit Magic Online. Shame on you Wizards! Charging full price play your game with virtual cards, that have redemption value when you feel it is best. It is absolutely ridiculous that you expect us to pay $4.00 for a pack of virtual cards and with your shit program.

Unstable servers, clunky interface and still no solid mechanism for trading effectively with other players. You continue to enforce this BBS system for trading that is full of bots and requires a monocle to read through. If Wizards keeps this pace up, the game is going to be full of snobby rich kids looking for some sort of fame in playing Magic.

I have a great example, two summers ago I was at the ass-factory we call Costa Mesa Women’s Center playing in a qualifier. I sat across from a kid who couldn’t have been more than 16 years old. I noticed him from other tournaments in the Los Angeles area and began a conversation with him. He went on to brag about how he had been to a Grand Prix in Texas and one in Seattle.

So I asked him how he was able to makes these trips financially. I do admit the question was mildly inappropriate however my curiosity got the best of me. He looked down and never answered and I proceeded to smash his face in 2-0. The kid probably had no hair on his nuts and manages to get mom and dad to fork some green to fuel his Magic trips.

Some new and exciting World of Warcraft news has come out. For those who don’t know the World of Warcraft 3.1 Patch finally arrived. I can easily sum up my thoughts on this topic.



1 comment:

  1. WotC is a great microcosm for America to me. Something I use to love that has become corrupted and fallen from its glory days to a cesspool of greed and ignorance, overflowing with idiots.

    While Wizards may or may not be legally in the right, tactically this is just stupid. No one is going to play MTGO because of this shut down. All it will accomplish is to make people less interested in playing tournaments (and for many players the game itself) because testing becomes too time prohibitive.

    ReplyDelete